The faculty of IIT Bombay is not only considered amongst the best within the country but also highly recognized in the world for their achievements in the field of education and research. The Institute is privileged to host faculty who have distinguished themselves as teachers, researchers, and consultants of extraordinary calibre. Nearly all faculty members have doctorates, with many of them having extensive teaching experience in globally renowned universities. In addition, many have substantial industry experience.
The faculty of IIT Bombay is involved in wide range of activities besides subsantial academic and research commitments.They
contribute significantly to the country's growth in science and technology by making their services available to the various national
and state level committees. Many of them also serve on editorial boards of leading journals, as reviewers for publications, on selection
committees, and as members of review boards of leading institutions and government agencies.
With the aspiration to grow and develop, IIT Bombay has been continuing its efforts to widen its faculty base. As a measure towards this end , there is a regular induction of, Visiting, Adjunct as well as Faculty on contract basis, into the Institute.
Broadening the Horizon
Faculty involvement in research and consultancy activity leads to signinficant output of publications in leading national and international
journals. Faculty members are encouraged to interact with peer groups by participating in international conferences and visiting leading
institutions for academic and research activities.
The Institute has established various awards for recognizing faculty contributions, viz. Life time Achievement Award, Annual Excellence in Teaching Awards, Annual Technology Development Award and, Award of Professor Emritus to
honor retired faculty who have contributed significantly to the institute.
Our faculty has made their mark amongst peer group A and has been recognized with awards and distinctions by professional bodies.A few of the major Awards and Honors over the last 10 years are mentioned below:
- Prof. S. P. Sukhatme, Mechanical Engineering, 2001
Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award:
- Prof. B. M. Deb, Chemistry, 1981
- Prof. S. P. Sukhatme, Mechanical Engineering, 1984
- Prof. S. K. Bhatia, Chemical Engineerin, 1993
- Prof. D. V. Khakkar, Chemical Engineering, 1997
- Prof. Pradeep Mathur, Chemistry, 2000
- Prof. Kanchan Pande, Earth Sciences, 2003
- Prof. D. V. Khakkar, Chemical Engineering, 1998
- Prof. Murugavel R., Chemistry, 2002
- Prof. Subhasis Chaudhary, Electrical Engineering, 2003
Significant Fellowships :
- National Academy of Science : 4
- Indian National Academy of Engineering : 20
- Indian National Science Academy : 9
- Indian Academy of Science