The selection procedure for the various programmes at IITs ensures that only the very best of the students make it to their campuses.
- JEE (Advanced Joint Entrance Examination) for the B.Tech programme
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) for M.Tech and PhD programmes
- CEED (Common Entrance Exam for Design) for M. Des and PhD programmes
- JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.)
- MET: The M.Phil Entrance Test (MET) is the entrance examination for admission to the M.Phil programmes offered by the IITs. Final admissions to the M.Phil programme are made based on the performance of the student in the entrance test and an interview conducted thereafter.
- Ph.D. Entrance: Admissions to the Ph.D programme are based on an interview and an entrance examination conducted by each department.